Wednesday, September 17, 2008

first impression is not everything.

Well since today is a holiday and I got nothing to talk about, why don’t I just talk on is first impression really that important in every aspect of your life? I don’t know how to make this statement sound convincing but I just try my best ok? Hmmm first impression, what is first impression? First impression is the impression u get in your mind the first time you meet someone. And normally, it is based on your first impression that you judge someone already. Well no doubt, it is our human nature that we can’t resist to look at someone’s first impression during the first time meeting but is first impression all you really need to judge someone?


You can learn a lot from first impression some sources say, however how reliable is your first impression towards someone you don’t know? Is it a hundred per cent guaranteed accurate? For example, you are walking on the road and then suddenly a man who dress smartly appears, stop you and ask for direction. In your first impression of him, I’m sure most of you wouldn’t mind stopping and talk to him since he is not a threat in your first impression. But somehow your first impression or your brain has betrayed you because the next thing you know your wallet is gone. Does it somehow make any sense? I’m trying to prove that first impression is not that important when it comes to judge someone. Another example but still in the same situation is when an old woman try to ask for your help. Your first impression would be “ oh poor thing, she is carrying all the heavy loads by herself, let me help her”. Just because she look helpless and old doesn’t mean she can’t take your wallet away from you. However I want to stress that not all cases are like this and I didn’t say that you shouldn’t trust anyone, it’s just that first impression is not reliable to judge someone.


Okay let’s look in the point of view of some supermarkets salesman and saleswoman in some part of this world. Well you are a salesman, then a chinese man came in and he dress sloppily, let me describe him, he wears a singlet and shorts only. And guess what he enters a branded shop where you worked. Your first impression would be that this man didn’t have the look of having lots of money to buy stuff in here and you just ignore him. Is that the right way? Should you judge him just because he wears singlet and shorts? Who knows if he is the tauke of some big company? For your information most Chinese tauke’s that are rich still wears singlet and shorts only here in Malaysia. It doesn’t mean he got no money. He can give you RM 10,000 and still didn’t feel a pinch. I don’t know if you get what I’m trying to say but just bear with me. Maybe you will get to understand as I go on talking.


Many people say that first impression is everything. Once someone gets an idea of you it is hard for them to leave that idea. If someone feels that you are something you really aren't because of your first impression then that is obviously not a good thing. Yet, so many people still rely on first impressions. For example when we go to job interviews we dress nice for one reason. To make a good first impression, at interviews people tend to act fake and extremely polite because we all know that if we make a great first impression we will have a better chance getting the job. Hence, let me ask you again, is first impression that important? Just for the sake of first impression, people faked and lied about themselves. Because of that thinking, many bosses out there soon realized that they had hired wrong employers all the time. During interviews, they were so energetic and passionate about the job but in the end what they got were a bunch of lazy workers. But in reality, there is nothing we can do about it because there is nothing we can judge upon except for first impression during interviews.


How do we judge someone if first impression is not important? We judge someone when we know them a little bit more. Now let’s put ourselves in someone shoes who is finding a lover. Let’s say you’re a girl and your first impression on this guy the first time you meet convinces you to make him your boyfriend. But how sure of you that he is that very same person after you had made him your boyfriend? Will he treat you badly or the same? Even if you’re a guy, what makes you think someone so pretty is pretty in the heart( attitude and character)? Will she cheat on your money and stuff like that? Another example is I’m sure most of you will encounter this situation where you walk in a mall and suddenly you see a couple walking together lovingly. And the guy is not handsome, fat and sloppy. However his girlfriend is very pretty and you wonder how come that ugly fat guy can have someone to love him? So I guess that first impression is not what matters the most in our life. Perhaps that ugly fat guy really have a kind and loving heart that’s why he can find someone to love him because of who he is not because of what he is ( his physical appearance).


Do you believe that even kids nowadays rely on first impression so much? I know you don’t understand what I’m trying to say but let me slowly get to my point. When we shop for something, we rely on first impression to aide us. Maybe not all, but for some of us we shop for something that is branded and look expensive. We hypothesize that the more expensive and branded items are better and last longer. An example, let’s say you are searching for handbags. You were given two choices of handbags , one is not branded while the other one is but their qualities are the same. 8 out of 10 women tend to buy the branded one. Isn’t this surprising? Even children think that brand is important. It’s because their first impression on something is already in their head. A survey was done and a group of children were given two burgers to eat. Both of them were home made burgers but one was wrapped with Mcd plastic. When they were asked which burger tasted better. All of them answered the one with Mcd wrappings. See? Do u get my point? Their first impression is that Mcd burgers are better but the fact is both of the burgers taste exactly the same. See how first impression make them to lie about their judgments in taste.


I’ve been talking for some time trying to prove that first impressions is not what really matters in our life. It is not the only tool to judge someone just by their appearance. There are a lot more factors to be considered. As I said, first impression is not a one hundred per cent accurate so until it is, first impression is not what matters to judge someone or something. I hope you enjoyed it. I can’t debate that well and my points are not strong enough to support my theory but I guess I did tried my best. Maybe this is a good practice later when I need to do my essay. Just want to conclude again that first impression is not important in every aspect of life.


Lastly, just want to tell you guys out there if you have any first impressions of me I don’t care whether it is good or bad. I am who I am and what you think won’t affect me to be myself. And you should be like that too. :)


Till here then. Any comment about this is welcomed.

1 comment:

Amigos Para Siempre said...

I agree,"i am who i am" .and u judge me wrongly just because u havent known the real "me".However,if most of the people have a false impression on me,i would reflect upon myself if it is really my fault.I think thats part of self developmet.But the fact is,people dont like to reflect.

Yes ,First Impression is Not important in EVERY aspect of life,BUT it is still important in part of your life.

Sorry.personally,i think the example you used is inaprroprite.
the example regarding "the smart-dressed man and old lady"
It simply just means First Impression is not always correct.
False First Impression IS NOT =
First impression is not important.
I think theres a misplace of concept.

Personally ,i think First Impression is important,BUT,theres a big BUT,doesnt mean i think it is good. Most of the mortal think so.But does not mean it is good.^^

So what i think we should do is,
lets hop out from the dimension of judge-you-by-your-first-impression and in the same time take good care of our own impression.For first impression is important ,yet it is wrong to judge people with it.

Sorry if i ve done any mistakes,or rude in the usage of words.
Sorry.
Thanks for posting such mind-intriguing post.

CHEERS!!!!!!!