Saturday, December 12, 2009

Biro Tata Negara (BTN)

We are all the same. We are all humans and that’s the fact. We all have a pair of eyes, a nose, a mouth, a pair of hands as well as a pair of legs. In fact, we do not differ a lot in any way. Why can’t we be united? Why are there still wars and conflicts going on?

Well that are some of the questions that I wonder after I had attended the Biro Tata Negara(BTN) camp during the last whole week from 7th to the 10th of December in Kem Bina Negara, Ulu Sepri Negeri Sembilan. Let me make a summary of the four days when my friends and I were there.

On the first day, all of us embarked at 8 and we reached the destination one and a half hour later. The moment we stepped down, we registered and a leader was chosen. We had two lectures on Malaysian history that morning. During that night we basically just relaxed and played some get-to-know-each-other game. One of those was looking straight into the eyes of your partner of the same sex and afterwards telling them that their eyes are beautiful. It was such an embarrassing moment for all of us. We also need to massage our partner as well.

The second day, most of us woke up early for morning prayers and then did a physical test in the hall. After breakfast we were divided into groups. There were 8 groups altogether. The rest of the day was spent by getting to know each and everyone as well as the facilitators of each group. In the evening the guys went abseiling while the girls played “poison ball”. I love abseiling that I tried twice!!! IT WAS SO FUN! After dinner we palyed anoher game called ‘ Angkasa Lepas’ . this game was based on the movie 2012. There were only 8 people left on earth while the rest have already been transferred to Marikh. Hence, a decision has to be made since the only spaceship left for some reason can only accomodates 5 persons. We spent that night figuring out who is the one that are able to fly or not. This game taught us a lot especially on the issue that all humans have the right to live.

The next morning, which is Wednesady, we woke up early again for prayers. And then we had a 2 km run required for the physical test.it was one hell of a run! I started running with big steps eventually trying my best to catch my breath and not stopped. My steps were getting smaller and I finished the run in 13 min 40 sec. oh ya, you wouldn’t believe who was the first in that run! It’s a girl from penang. Bubbly and fast. She finished in 8 min and 17 sec. so guys, you better be careful with this one. She bites! I was just joking, she was in fact very friendly.

By the way there are around 6 people who were not from our college that joined us during the camp. And she was one of them, Sarah Sulaiman Ch’ng who will study biomedicine in melbourne uni next feb. I’ve made another new friend as well and he was in the same dorm with me : Marcus Ma. A nice guy from BU4 and will further his studies in engineering at the Australian National Unversity(ANU).

Anyway back to the topic, after the run, we, in our own groups were literally running aorund between 5 stations where we were exposed more to Malaysia for example, the judiciary system, the Majlis Raja-raja as well as those regarding with citizenship. That lasted until evening. That evening, it’s the girls turn to try abseiling while us, the guys stayed in the hall and learnt how to dance a tradisional malay dance which I have forgotten the name. I’m sorry,but what I know is that we really enjoyed that one hour of dancing. We were divided into two big groups and we competed to see which groups is the best. My group won !!! everyone dancing in the same tempo, same steps and with the same enthusiasm. It was really a nice experience. And that night we did quizzes which lead to a very memorable moment of where everyone built the Malaysian flag together and sang Jalur Gemilang. I would say that was the peak of camp. We went back to our dorms tired but happy.

The final day, after morning prayers we had brakfast and got ready for our test. The test tested us on our understanding about Malaysia, it wasn’t hard at all. After the test, certs were given and we went back home after lunch!!!!

Overall, it was a nice experience joining this camp. Eventhough, me myself as well the rest have heard lots of statements that claims BTN is a harsh place and all their mission was to brainwash the citizens. Well, luckily, my camp wasn’t like that and as a person who had experienced it, I suggest that you should not judge something based on what you heard until you actually experienced it.

I guess till here then!! If you guys wanna know more about the camp just drop a comment will ya!!

No comments: