Saturday, February 21, 2009

what is the right mindset?

what is the right mindset?

what are we trained for since young?

study hard, get into a good university and eventually get a good job?

have you heard your parents said:

"go to school and be an entrepreneur?"

sadly enough that is not what we have been trained for.Our society, namely Asians, have this mindset that life is just about studying, get into a good uni and get a good job, not forgetting also to get a good family.

this mindset is being passed on generations by generations from the last 20 decades or more, no one knows for sure. what are the implications from it? Well one thing for sure, a whole stereotype generations will be born and no one dares to takes risk to be an entreprenuer. Taking risks are considered as serious as taking drugs for some in our society. You could harm yourself by taking drugs(risks,in this context).

Our society have been brain-washed that to fail is the last thing you want to do in life. To fail means suicide. To fail means to degrade not only your name and family honour. But to fail will never means to learn from mistakes and be better.

Do you realize how often do you hear suicide cases in the news or in the newspaper?

“Most suicides in the world occur in Asia, which is estimated to account for up to 60% of all suicides. According to the World Health Organization, China, India and Japan may account for 40% of all world suicides. “ ..Wikipedia

Although the factors that contributes to suicide are many, but I’m sure that a bigger percentage of it is because of the “cannot fail” mentality. As I said before, we, Asians, are trained not to fail and to some extent, not to be a failure. Teenagers and adults both commit suicide regardless of race. Teenagers commit suicide because when their parents put high hopes on them and in the end they could not performed as expected, this forces them to take the easy path, away from agony and humiliation they might get. Adults, also face failure but not in their teens. Maybe they have not gone through failure before and believe me this is what makes suicides prevalent. Most adults that commit suicide are those who are unemployed or those who failed in their business. The fact that they have never failed before and when they actually did, it is unacceptable to them and hence the only way to avoid living around humiliation and disgrace is to move on to the other “world” where no one knows them.

What I’m trying to say is that our society need to change our way of thinking. We need to be given the freedom to do what we like and not just blindly do something that we feel obliged to. Sad to say, I’m one of the consequences from this mindset. My path was chosen and the road I’m on now will never diverged.( I love drawings and designs, and if given a chance whether to do architecture or design, I’ll choose design. But because the government only offer scholarships for critical profession, so I only can say “ come to me, Architecture” rather than “ here I come, Architecture”. If you get what I mean.

*******************

Anyway today I went to KLIA to send off seniors that fly to UNSW. KLIA is such a huge place. The feelings I felt were indescribable. Will I be able to be here, next year this time around? Or will I’ll be here stranded alone in an island watching the only ship sails away? I wonder……


the environment at the luggage counter

me and Germae

franky and a senior( i don't know her name )

the sign board

wah

departure list

sydney where they are going

when only i can go there?
before I leave, i took this where all the scholars gathers

goodbye!!!!


blog response on this post:

http://youngbanana.blogspot.com/2009/02/re-what-is-right-mindset.html

http://ryukid.blogspot.com/2009/02/re-what-is-right-mindset.html

and if there is anyone else doing a post on this please so let me know ya :)

2 comments:

Young said...

Hey Daniel. :P
Good and interesting post about mindsets and entrepreneurship but I have some differing opinions on what you wrote.

Head over to my blog and read for yourself. :)

http://youngbanana.blogspot.com/

Daniel Hazmy said...

hey thx young.im glad you shared your ideas too :)